mirimione

The Bookworm's Den

Worming my way through books since 1998

Dodger

Dodger - Terry Pratchett Didn't like it as much as I wanted to, unfortunately. I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett and I really liked Oliver Twist when I read it - so I was really excited about reading a book about Dodger by one of my favourite authors. But although the story was quite cute in itself ... it somehow didn't quite reach my expectations of it. For one, it developed way too slowly and too quickly at the same time - too slowly because it felt like the action picked up way too slowly, and too quickly because the entire plot takes place over ... a week or something? It's not nearly enough to justify Dodger's quick rise in society though, in my opinion.

That being said, I loved all the historical and literary characters that made an appearance throughout the plot - from Charles Dickens himself to Sweeney Todd :). That I found really enjoyable. And of course Dodger himself was just delightful :).

So all in all, it's a lovely tale and it'll certainly keep you entertained and make you smile - but in comparison to all the other Pratchett books, I doubt that this is the one that will stick with you.