mirimione

The Bookworm's Den

Worming my way through books since 1998

SPOILER ALERT!

Reading progress update: I've read 890 out of 1056 pages.

— feeling big smile
A Dance With Dragons - George R.R. Martin

So, we're fast approaching the end of this book - and if I'm honest, I'm past ready for it ;)! Not that I'm not enjoying reading it - I really am! But there comes a point when I yearn to read something else ... and I think I reached that point a hundred pages ago :P!

Nevertheless, Dany, Tyrion and Jon especially still keep me on the edge of my seat with their story lines. Particularly now that Dany has flown off to God knows where, Tyrion has cleverly tricked his way into freedom and Jon ... oh Jon. I sense something evil coming his way. Does he have any friends left at Castle Black? He's sent everyone away who likes him even just a little bit. I know that the saying goes "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." ... but honestly, whoever came up with this clearly had no clue what they were talking about. At least if they meant it in the literal sense. Jon desperately needs the support of his friends - not only so they can protect him and support him in his decisions, but also for emotional and psychological reasons. He's setting himself up to be this lone, tragic hero, and I really don't think that he'll be able to bear that for long, even if he does believe in honour and duty and all that jazz.

On another topic, I'm getting a bit tired of all the new point of view characters I have to admit. The thing is, once I'm five pages into their chapters I'm usually fine (even when it comes to Victarion ...) but those first pages ... they involve a lot of sighing and skipping ahead to see how many pages until the next Dany/Tyrion/Jon chapter xD. The only exception to this are the Barristan Selmy POV chapters - I actually quite like "Ser Grandfather", as Dany calls him, and I've really enjoyed his storyline so far. But yeah, the Ironborn chapters ... I'm not really a fan of those. Even though I think that Asha is a great character!

Finally, I'm really crushed that there aren't going to be any more Theon chapters in this book ;_;! His POV was really one of the most interesting ones for me and I sooooooo wanna know if he managed to escape together with Jeyne ... *sigh* Well, maybe I'll still find out, if he's making for Stannis as he said he would ... because that's where Asha is ... and I've still got one more of her chapters left ... ;)